Milford schools

Milford schools benefit from safety upgrades

MILFORD — The entrances to all public schools in Milford have been retrofitted with ballistic and blast-resistant glass, frames and hardware, according to school officials.

James Richetelli, the school district’s director of operations, updated the school board on the security upgrades during its meeting last week.

“The hardened vestibules will create a ‘mantrap’ or buffer at the entrances to prevent a potential intruder from gaining access to the building,” Richetelli said.

Recently, Milford Public Schools completed the third phase of safety projects at five schools, John F. Kennedy Elementary School, Orange Avenue Elementary School, East Shore Middle School and Joseph A. Foran.


The school board agreed to 100% completion of safety upgrade projects at individual schools on April 11. The council had to formally accept completion to receive final reimbursement from the state and close the project.

“This is consistent with the recommendations of the school safety and security task force, and in accordance with state school safety infrastructure standards,” Richetelli said, adding that the project “entry enhanced” is part of a larger school safety project.

“There have been several additional layers of security in all of our buildings,” he added. “The work continues as we strive to employ best practices to ensure the safety of our students, staff and visitors.”

The construction of phase 3 has started and will be completed in the summer of 2021.

The total cost for the five Phase 3 schools was about $2,054,204, but Richetelli said the work was eligible for a 40.71% state reimbursement, or $836,266, leaving a share local cost of approximately $1,217,938.

“These funds are part of the city’s bond for the capital improvement plan,” he said.


Source link